Accent Walls, Why?
Accent walls are a great way to add an innovative spin to a typical interior paint project! The opportunities are unlimited! Listed below we offer pointers as well as techniques for producing a show-stopping accent wall.
Functions of an Accent Wall
Accent wall surfaces can have many features that can make them superb style attributes of your house or room. Accent walls work to:
- Highlight fireplaces, sloped walls, and floor-to-ceiling cabinets or shelves.
- Bring interest to a space, such as a hallway, door, or ceiling.
- Designate a space for a purpose such as a bar or breakfast nook.
- Add dimension to a room. If your style is more simplistic, an accent wall can add excitement to a space.
Do’s and Don’ts
- DO be creative. You can do more than just paint your accent wall. You can utilize wallpaper, stencils, panelling, etc. to create your accent wall.
- DO make sure your accent wall complements the colour of other walls in the room. Use the accent wall as a continuation of your decor’s colour scheme, or use this project as a time to reinvent a space.
- DON’T shy away from bold colours or patterns. Find a colour that fits your personality and that you will be happy in the long run. Going with a darker neutral is safe, but takes away from the fun possibilities of an accent wall.
- DON’T forget to take into account the texture, architectural features, and light exposure of your accent wall. You want to choose an accent wall design that will complement the physical attributions of space.
Planning on DIY?
If you are intending to paint an accent wall on your own, we recommend products that will allow for a much more expert look. We want to stress and anxiety that it is important to obtain professional graduate tools, such as brushes and also tape. Cheaper brushes, as well as rollers, can drop product behind or break. We have actually listed items that you will be able to find in your neighbourhood hardware shop.
- Step Ladder
- 2-2.5″ Brush
- 9″ Roller Frame
- Roller Cover
- Small Putty Knife
- Roller Pole
- Roller Pan
- Sanding Block
- Frog Tape